31 October 2011

JOKER THE VISION


Young Bristol-born dubstep/electro artist Liam McLean, otherwise known as Joker, released his debut album this week entitled "The Vision". With the vision to lead a change in the genre into a sound he describes as 'purple', the album aims to experiment with beats, analogue synths and quite a bit of vocals too. Unfortunately for him though, most of the mainstream reviews haven't been impressed, labelling him a follower rather than a leader, that he has produced nothing new, with much of the tracks structurally awkward.

Now, I'm no professional music reviewer of course, but my opinion is probably just as valid as I'm a listener. And I really like the sound, I feel the R&B influences hit with the dubstep twist works nicely, merged with some sweet melodies and vocal lines. There's a lot of character in this album and I especially love Jessie Ware's collaboration too. So I hope the 20-year-old continues to develop his sound and see out his vision, I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. I feel the purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment